Spiritual Amnesia

Not long ago I came across a article that ended up discussing an issue I had trouble with before, but never gave much thought to.  The article shed some light on a process that occurs very frequently with me, and up until reading it, I couldn't understand why my perception of things would change so drastically overnight.  The article (linked below) talks about talks about the spiritual mentor of the author, performing levitation for his audience, only for that memory of said demonstration to change by the next day.

After righting my last post on levitation, it reminded me of this article, so I decided to talk about it a bit.  Although the article primarily spotlights levitation, it mentions both the attitude and the memories of the observers changing from being a witness and believer, back to a skeptic with an altered memory of the events that transpired the very day before.  He called this effect "Spiritual Amnesia", and I think it is a fitting description.

The concept of spiritual amnesia rests on the idea that if one should come into contact with anything that challenges their rigidly upheld, preexisting beliefs of the world, then the mind in a desperate attempt to return to balance, edits the memory to omit what ever caused the upheaval in the first place.  Thus restoring the mind to order and balance, but also shying away from truth as it would mean some serious reevaluation of the world and how it works.

I strongly encourage anyone to read this article, as it may shed some light on some of your own experiences.

Spiritual Amnesia - Turning a Blind Eye to the Possible

I think we have all had those experiences in our lives that we can't explain.  Things that give us that feeling that there was something more involved in what happened.  And I also think that most of us begin to change our minds about what happened as time passes on.  We rationalize it, then conclude that there must be a natural explanation for it, and then walk away.

I know this has happened to me.  I have seen things move around me before in strange ways, and at the time, it has that paranormal feeling to it.  But when I readdress what happened the next day, often times I notice that my opinion of it has changed, and I have since somehow rationalized it as natural, and left it at that.

I also try and tap in to our latent potential, as I think it is something that we can draw out of us and use.  I will sometimes find myself in these states of mind and body, that I can only describe as free and liberating.  It feels right and whole.  I will just know that it is important and that there is something more to it.  But, by the next day, its like it never happened.  I will awaken in nearly the complete opposite mood and mindset that I fell asleep in, and the thought of what I experienced that day before seems so far out of my reach, that it almost sounds ludicrous.  I honestly got the impression that in my sleep, my own mind purposely created distance between me and what happened, and even went so far as to create hurdles to it so I wouldn't easily be able to reach it again.

After reading the article, it definitely made sense of what is happening with me.  In fact it makes a lot of sense for why people act terribly towards all of these things that would fit on the fringe of what we know.  Things that we like to call, paranormal or supernatural.