Book Review: Kundalini Rising

This book in particular, Kundalini Rising by Barbara Condron, caught my attention because of the title.  Kundalini has been an interest of mine for some time now.  So when I saw this book, I thought it may be one of those unassuming diamonds in the rough.  I was in a bookstore searching for anything that might catch my attention, when this one did just that.  Before I buy any book, I have to be able to read some of it in order to judge the contents for myself, which I did.  As I thumbed through it, I thought this book may have it all, from meditation, to chakras, to energy work, to of course, kundalini.

I'll be honest.  It's been a while since I've read this book.  I was fully ready to pan it, too.  I couldn't remember why, but for some reason when I looked back on it, I remember it left a bad taste and I couldn't wait to finish reading it to be done with it.  But when I tried to remember what exactly it was the I thought was bad, I couldn't

So it came time to review the book, and I didn't want to write the review without knowing what exactly it was that bothered me.  So, I went back and thumbed through it, trying to remember.  As I did so, almost all of what I read was accurate, and smooth, and a little fun to read.  I must of written up two or three reviews for this book before this one.  Each time I did, I felt unsatisfied with it.  Like I was exaggerating faults it didn't have.  Making mountains out of molehills.  Each time I would go back and reread more and more of the book, trying to pin down what it was I didn't like.

Ironically the more I read, the more I liked.  It does have some extremes that I feel wary of, such as her take on the depth of consciousness.  Not so much that it's deep in a sense, but more like the details she shares about how through the movement of conscious energy, something can go from more or less a thought, to form.  She goes through a fairly detailed process of this, too.  Involving all sorts of things, like chakras, meridians, biology, neuroscience, psychology and energy work.  It's pretty thorough in it's endeavor, while maintaining a smooth and scholarly read that inspires.

She draws from a wide range of historical figures, cultures and religions as well to help illustrate her points, adding momentum and broadening the scope of the subject.  It's great because it shows that many different cultures throughout history, including our own, has in some form or another, been aware of such things and even encouraged the cultivation of them.  Though often understood by other names, these concepts extend wide across the world, in many forms.

If you're new to these subjects, it's actually a decent book to get you started, as it covers a lot of topics pretty thoroughly, while drawing connections to current life, culture and society.  However, it's not exactly a deep read.  It does have surprising detail to it.  Good enough to get you started, on your feet and pointed in the right direction with enough understanding to achieve something.

But if you're interested in the more profound changes that can occur, this book doesn't have it.  Though technically, if you want those profound changes, you have to make your way through the changes that are addressed in this book first, it still lacks the depth that I think I was craving when I bought Kundalini Rising.  Another thing is, it barely even addresses these more profound changes that I'm speaking of.  Almost as if what is in the book, is all that you can achieve, which I knew to be untrue.

Another thing that sort of bothered me was Kundalini is in the title, but is largely eluded to in the book itself.  The author mentions Kundalini throughout the book, but does so in such a way that it stays at a distance.  Always referring to this creative force within, but only once you've tapped into it.  It does give you some advice and a means to get there, but I was left feeling the author could've put a little more effort into the how, walking you through this process on a personal level a bit more.  You know, to make sure the reader has adequate means of actually putting the information in the rest of the book, to good use.

Lastly, and this may only be for me, but, the book is oddly forgettable.  Probably my biggest problem with the book is, out of all the books I've read, this one seems easily forgettable.  In-fact, as I sat trying to remember what I liked and didn't like about this book and wasn't able to, I then went through some of the books I'm going to review to see if I can remember them any better.  And I could.  The information was good, or at least decent.  It had a good flow.  Was at least somewhat inspiring.  But for some reason, I mostly forgot about it.  I remember I had read it.  But that's it, pretty much.

In the end, I'll say this.  It's a good book, but there are better ones out there that will probably leave a stronger impression.

6/10

Hope you enjoyed!